skip navigation

Leaving a job

Notice periods and payments when you resign or leave a job.

When leaving a job you will usually be required to provide your employer with the correct amount of notice to be entitled to receive employment entitlements or avoid penalties. 

On this page:

  1. Notice requirements  
  2. Employment entitlements  
  3. Claiming unpaid wages and entitlements  

Notice requirements 

The correct amount of notice should be provided to the employer. In some cases, written notice is required. 

The notice period is generally set out in an award, agreement or contract of employment. The period can be varied by agreement between the employer and employee. 

The amount of notice an employee has to provide may be different to the amount of notice the employer has to provide.

Casual employees or employees in their probation period do not usually have to provide notice.

Call Wageline on 1300 655 266 for information on notice periods in specific WA awards.

Employment entitlements

If you do not provide the correct period of notice, your employer may be entitled to withhold monies, in the form of salary and/or annual and long service leave payments. 

Once you have provided your employer with the correct period of notice and worked out this notice your employer will generally be obliged to pay your final wages and outstanding entitlements such as annual leave and long service leave.

Annual Leave

When you finish your employment, you should be paid out any accrued annual leave that you still have owed to you. This pay out will not normally include any form of annual leave loading.

Long Service Leave

If an employee has been employed by an employer for 7 or more years, they will be entitled to be paid out a proportion of their long service leave entitlement when their employment ends.
Casuals, part time and full time employees are all entitled to receive long service leave.

Sick Leave

Sick leave is not payable when an employees end their employment.

Deductions from final pay

Some employers may attempt to deduct money from an employee’s final pay claiming an employee owes them money for training, breakages, equipment and uniforms.

Generally an employer cannot deduct any monies from your final wages, unless you consent in writing or there is specific authorisation to do so.

Uniforms and equipment

If you have been provided with a uniform, tools or equipment free of charge in the course of your employment, you will be required to return these items at the end of your employment.
It is in your best interests to return these items as soon as possible, not only to build good relations but also to avoid criminal penalties or charges associated with stealing or unlawful possession.

Claiming unpaid wages and entitlements

There are a number of steps you can take to pursue your final pay and entitlements (annual leave and long service leave), if your employer fails or refuses to pay these. 

The first step should be to approach your employer and find out why they are refusing to pay.

If you have provided the correct amount of notice and your employer still refuses to pay you can contact Wageline on 1300 655 266.  Wageline can provide you with further information and assistance and may be able to lodge a claim against your employer for the outstanding money.