skip navigation

High risk work licence (HRW licence)


What is a high risk work licence?

A person requires a HRW licence to perform:

  • Scaffolding - basic, intermediate and advanced;  
  • Rigging work - dogging; basic, intermediate and advanced rigging;
  • Crane and hoist operation - tower; self-erecting tower; derrick; portal boom; bridge and gantry; vehicle loading; non slewing mobile; slewing; materials hoist; personnel and materials hoist; boom-type elevating work platform; vehicle mounted concrete placing boom;
  • Forklift operation - forklift trucks; order-picking forklift trucks;
  • Pressure equipment operation - basic, intermediate and advanced boiler operation; turbine operation; reciprocating steam engine operation.

The National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work can be accessed and downloaded from Safe Work Australia

A photographic licence, which is valid for 5 years, is issued to people who are assessed as being competent to hold the High Risk Work licence, subject to identification checks and verification of age.  You must be at least 18 years of age before you can be issued with an HRW licence.   The licence will allow you to perform this work in any state or territory of Australia.  All states and territories will recognise and enforce suspensions and cancellations made in other states and territories.

How do I renew my high risk work licence?

You can renew your high risk work licence online. Like your drivers licence it is very important that you keep your contact details up to date so that we can remind you when your licence is due to be renewed.  Once the expiry date has passed the licence is invalid and you should not continue to do high risk work until the licence renewal has been processed.

If your licence has expired please contact WorkSafe on 1300 424 091 or at

How can I get a high risk work licence?

If you wish to work in an occupation defined as high-risk, you will need to be trained to carry out such work by a Registered Training Organisation and assessed by a WorkSafe Registered Assessor.  You can find a list of Assessors on our website.  At the completion of your training and assessment your Registered Training Organisation will help you to apply to WorkSafe for your High Risk Work licence.

Adding additional classes to your licence

A High Risk Work Licence will only be valid for the class(es) of high risk work endorsed on the HRW licence.  New classes can be added to the HRW licence, allowing licence holders to work in multiple occupations on a single licence.  However, the licence is valid for 5 years starting from the date of issue of the first HRW licence class endorsed on the licence.  At the completion of your training and assessment, for your new high risk work class, your Registered Training Organisation will help you to apply to WorkSafe for your High Risk Work licence.

How do I know if my licence has expired?

Your licence has an expiry date which is shown on the front of the licence. Alternatively, you can check the status of you licence online.

How do I change my contact details for my licence?

You can change your contact details by either completing the online form or by contact the licencing centre on 1300 424 091.

How do I change my name on my high risk work licence?

You will need to provide the following documentation with your application (by post or in person) - Conversion and replacement (Form 24):

  • Certified copies of any documentation relating to your name change:  A marriage certificate (Commemorative Certificates are not accepted), a divorce decree (bearing the name being reverted to), a deed poll registered with the relevant authority, a change of name certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, a birth certificate showing the name at birth and the new name (Commemorative Certificates are not acceptable).
  • Your identity and change of name documents should show a clear link between your names.

Lost or damaged licences

If your licence is damaged, stolen or lost, you must notify WorkSafe.  You may then apply to WorkSafe for a replacement licence. To obtain a replacement licence, you will be required to:

Supervision of persons doing high risk work

The regulations allow trainees to be provided with high risk work experience at the workplace providing the trainee is enrolled to do the training in that particular class of high risk work and is supervised by a person who holds a high risk work licence for that class of work. It is also expected that the trainee will be working under a timetable with the aim of achieving a satisfactory assessment of competency and making an application for the relevant licence to perform high risk work.

People who do not hold an HRW licence or are not undergoing the appropriate training are no longer be able to do high risk work, even under the supervision of a person who holds a relevant licence.

Certificates of competency

All Certificates of Competency were due to be converted to HRW licence no later than 30 June 2012.  If you hold a Certificate of Competency please contact WorkSafe on 1300 424 091 for further information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Application forms

  • Licence to perform high risk work - Conversion and replacement (Form 24) (This form can not be used to renew an existing High Risk Work Licence)
  • Licence to perform high risk work - Renewal (WorkSafe will send you a renewal form when your High Risk Work Licence is due to be renewed)
  • Licence to perform high risk work - New or additional class (Form 26)

Related information