The Commission for Occupational Safety and Health
The Commission is a tripartite body made up of employee, employer and government representatives as well as occupational safety and health experts
What is it?
The Commission for Occupational Safety and Health consists of employers, employees and government representatives and people with expertise and knowledge in occupational safety and health matters. The Commission:
- is the peak consultative forum on occupational safety and health in Western Australia;
- is the driving force behind Western Australia’s workplace safety laws, policies and programs; and
- liaises with WorkSafe, a division of the Department of Commerce that administers and enforces safety and health laws in Western Australia.
Who is on it?
The Commission comprises:
- an independent chair nominated by the Minister;
- the WorkSafe Western Australia Commissioner;
- two officers of the Public Service nominated by the Minister(s) responsible for the administration of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 and the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994;
- two members nominated by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA;
- one member nominated by the Chamber of Minerals and Energy WA;
- three members nominated by UnionsWA, one of whom must have knowledge and experience in the mining industry; and
- three members with expertise and knowledge of occupational safety and health, nominated by the Minister.
The Commission meets each month except in January. From 2 February 2012, the minutes of Commission meetings will be publicly available once they are confirmed (generally within six weeks). Hardcopies are available at the WorkSafe library and in electronic format (limited to the previous 12 months) below:
- May 2012
- June 2012
- July 2012
- August 2012
- September 2012
- October 2012
- November 2012
- December 2012
- February 2013
- March 2013
- April 2013
- Commission for Occcupational Safety and Health - What it is and how it works (PDF)
- Commission’s Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Codes of practice and
- Guidance notes