Information on safety and health issues in mining
Resources Safety is the division of the Department of Mines and Petroleum that is charged with safety and health in the mining industry.
Please visit the Resources Safety website for occupational safety and health information regarding mining.
Current instruments of declaration
Construction work at mine sites falls under the jurisdiction of the Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 (the MSI Act) and the Mining Act 1978 (the Mining Act). Under section 4(3) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 (the OSH Act), the minister administering the OSH Act and MSI Act and the minister administering the Mining Act may declare, in an 'instrument of declaration,' that the OSH Act or provisions of it apply to, or in relation to, a workplace normally falling under the jurisdiction of the MSI Act or the Mining Act.
The following instruments have been declared and are valid until cancelled. Government Gazettes are available on the State Law Publishers website.
- No. 1 of 2005 - 'Pilbara Iron Pty Ltd railway', published in Western Australian Government Gazette, no 119 28 June 2005
- No. 2 of 2008 - 'Pilbara Infrastructure' published in the Western Australian Government Gazette, no. 149, 26 August 2008.
- Instrument No. 3 of 2009 - Boodarie Power Station, replacing Instrument of Declaration No. 1 of 2007, published in the Western Australian Government Gazette No. 156, 1 September 2009.
- Instrument No. 4 of 2009 - 'Newman Power Station', published in the Western Australian Government Gazette No 165, 17 September 2009
- Instrument of Declaration No 5 of 2010 - BHP Billiton Iron Ore Pty Ltd Pilbara Railway - published in Western Australian Government Gazette No 210 on 9 November 2010
- Instrument No. 5 of 2011 - Hope Downs 4 Project, published in the Western Australian Government Gazette, No. 99, 17 June 2011
- Instrument of Declaration No. 2 of 2012 - Karara Mining Limited’s Tilley to Karara Railway, published in the Western Australian Gazette on 13 April 2012 (No. 60 of 2012 pgs 1681-1682).