Check out your painter before agreeing to work

This announcement is for: 

The Building Commissioner has issued a reminder to consumers to check a painter’s registration before engaging them to carry out painting work valued over $1,000.

The Building Commission has received information that unregistered painters are advertising in several metropolitan and regional newspapers and planning to distribute flyers in areas including the Peel region offering roof painting and other maintenance services.

Building Commissioner Peter Gow said a brush with these dodgy traders could leave consumers with a sub-standard and overpriced result.

“In most parts of Western Australia, carrying out painting work valued over $1,000 requires a registration and any advertisements offering major painting work should contain the painter’s registration number,” Mr Gow said.

“The Building Commission and our colleagues at Consumer Protection receive frequent complaints from consumers who have handed over money to an unregistered painter only to be left with overpriced and substandard work – or in some cases, no work at all. 

“The best way for consumers to protect themselves from dodgy painters is to ask to see their accreditation and independently verify it before agreeing to any major work on their property.

“You can check a painter is registered on the Building Commission website at”

The Commissioner said advertisements that used headings like “Full roof painted” for a value over $1,000 and that gave a 1800 phone number or did not contain a trading name were signs a painter may be operating illegally and consumers should check their credentials before agreeing to any work. He said consumers should also be wary of painting services offered door-to-door.

“These unregistered traders are difficult to track down for a refund or to make a warranty claim if you’re not satisfied with the work and are breaking consumer law by not observing a 10-day cooling off period for unsolicited sales,” Mr Gow said.

“Most building work valued over $20,000 also requires the builder to be registered in WA and all plumbing work must be carried out by a licensed plumbing contractor.”

Anyone who comes into contact with traders offering unauthorised work should be reported to the Building Commission on 1300 48 90 99 or email


Media contact:

Phone 9476 1335, 0407 448 239 or email

Building and Energy
Media release
16 Jun 2014

Share this page:

Last modified: