6 Key points
- Only certain groups may qualify to register as an incorporated association.
- To become incorporated, an association must lodge an application with Consumer Protection
- The association must develop a set of rules that comply with the requirements of the Act and make provision for all the matters included in Schedule 1.
- An advertisement of Intended Application for Incorporation must be published in a newspaper circulating in an area where the association is situated or conducts its affairs before an application is lodged with Consumer Protection.
- The application (Form 1) must clearly state the name and purpose of the association, and include a copy of the rules of the association.
- The Certificate of Incorporation is proof of incorporation. This is a very important document and must be kept in a safe place.