6. Storage management
The way in which records are stored will depend on:
- the purpose of the records;
- the type of records;
- how long records must be kept; and
- access needs.
An association may store records on-site at the place of business. If the association does not have sufficient and appropriate space, records can be stored off-site by storage companies. It is very important for documents to be stored in safe, secure and appropriate facilities. There are a number of factors to consider when deciding on a storage facility.
Storage facilities should, for example:
- be conveniently located to the user;
- comply with occupational heath and safety standards;
- comply with building standards;
- have secure and controlled access;
- be appropriate for the kinds of documents to be stored;
- facilitate easy access and retrieval;
- have containers that are suitable, durable and appropriate for the kinds of documents; and
- protect documents from disasters (eg fire) and deterioration (eg by excluding direct sunlight).