skip to content
8. Key points
- Sport and recreational associations form the largest group (by number) of incorporated associations in Western Australia.
- Incorporated associations are required to have a set of rules that comply with the Associations Incorporation Act 1987. This is often referred to as the constitution of the association. Additional rules can be included in a set of by-laws.
- It is compulsory for an incorporated association to keep an up-to-date register of all its members, including children. The register must be made available to association members for inspection.
- A priority for sport and recreational associations is to ensure that safety rules and procedures are implemented, and to be protected against liability. It is very important to ensure that all members and participants are fully informed of the safety rules and requirements.
- Parents must give their consent, preferably in writing, to children participating in sports and recreational activities.
- Sport and recreational associations must ensure that they have adequate insurance.