Do I need to be licensed as a plumber?

Scheduled system outage

AssociationsOnline, BondsOnline and Licence renewals will be unavailable from 5pm on Friday, 23 February until 8am on Monday, 26 February to allow for scheduled system improvements. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

This page is for: 

Western Australia’s system for regulating plumbing work protects consumers and the community by ensuring that only suitably qualified people who hold plumbers licences granted by the Plumbers Licensing Board are legally entitled to carry out plumbing work.  Corporate entities such as companies and trusts cannot hold plumbers licences.  People issued a licence are also issued a Plumbers Licensing Board photo ID card.

Six different plumbers licences

The Board issues six different plumbers licences.  All plumbing licence holders are authorised to undertake plumbing work but the scope of the authorised work varies with each licence. 

A plumbing contractor is required to complete higher qualifications than a plumbing tradesperson.  A restricted permit is granted to an electrician or gasfitter to enable that skilled person to also perform particular plumbing work.

Information on the licence categories is on the Plumbers licensing – overview webpage.

Share this page:

Last modified: