Seniors Housing Checklist
Housing needs change with time. You maybe considering changes to your housing that better meet your finances, lifestyle or present or future needs, it is a big decision. Here are some questions you may want to consider before making any change:
- Know what you want. Make a list of what you absolutely must have in and other features you would like. Ask yourself:
- Why are you thinking of moving? Have you considered getting assistance or making modifications to allow you to stay in your current home?
- Is this a good time for you to consider a big lifestyle change, or should you wait?
- Where do you want to live? If you are moving to be close to family or friends, have you asked them about their future plans - what if they move?
- Do your research and become informed. Find out more about the laws covering your housing option, financial implications and what you need to know as a consumer.
- Shop around. As in all areas of life, there are good deals and not so good deals. Some options will offer more than others and there may be 'small print' that you should know about.
- Do not let salespeople pressure you. The bigger the commitment or risk or more significant the change, the more important it is that you take your time to make the right decision for you.
- Seek expert advice. Consider talking to a lawyer before signing a major contract or getting financial advice if considering refinancing.
- Talk to people you trust. Weigh up the pros and cons.
Share this page: