Visit retirement villages
It is a good idea to visit a number of different villages before deciding on the village that's right for you
When you make your visits to different villages:
- inspect the unit being offered, including security, outdoor lighting, width of hallways, heating and air-conditioning;
- take a walk around the village grounds and inspect the amenities;
- consider the location of the village and whether it is close to friends, family and transport; and
- ask the existing residents about life in the village and how well the village is managed.
Common areas, facilities and services
The facilities of retirement villages vary greatly. Some retirement villages offer amenities like communal rooms, dining rooms, swimming pools and bowling greens, whereas others simply provide accommodation.
Apart from management services, some villages also provide additional services. These might include arranging activities and excursions, transport, shopping trips and emergency call monitoring. Some villages can arrange personal services for residents on a user-pay basis, such as meals, cleaning, laundry and personal care such as assistance with dressing or bathing.
- Seniors housing guidePDF 3.23MB
Share this page: