Consumer guarantees, warranties and refunds
Business rights and responsibilities
Whether you have to provide a refund, repair, replacement or compensation to a consumer for problems with goods or services depends on whether you have met consumer guarantees set by Australian law.
You are responsible for understanding your legal obligations.
Australia’s consumer protection agencies now have more enforcement powers and bigger penalties apply if you break the law.
In this section:
For all businesses:
- Who guarantees what
- Telling consumers about their rights -‘No refund’ signs are illegal
- Warranties and consumer guarantees
- Gift recipients
- Receipts and proof of transaction
If you provide goods:
- Consumer guarantees on goods
- Refunds, repairs and replacements
- Manufacturer and importer responsibilities
- When a supplier deals with a problem that is the manufacturer’s responsibility