skip navigation

Further information and assistance from State Government agencies

The Forest centreIn addition to industry experts such as lawyers, valuers, accountants and tenant advocates, the Government has established a framework of State Government assistance for retail/commercial shop tenants.

The Small Business Commissioner at the Small Business Development Corporation (SBDC) is now the first point of contact for any small business operator in Western Australia seeking advice or assistance with a business to business, or business to government complaint or dispute, as well as those concerning retail tenancies or unfair market practices affecting small business.   For more details or to access the SBDC Alternative Dispute Resolution service please telephone 131 249 or visit

The State AdministrativeTribunal telephone: 9219 3111

is responsible for providing a mediation service and determining disputes in relation to retail and commercial shop lease matters.

The Department of Commerce can also be contacted telephone: 1300 30 40 54

to provide advice on the policy, content and review aspects of the retail/commercial shop tenancy laws.

Authorised copies of the Commercial Tenancy (Retail Shops) Agreements Act 1985 and the 1998 Amendment Act and the associated Regulations can be obtained from the State Law Publisher at 10 William Street Perth, Western Australia telephone (08) 6552 6000 .

Property owners can obtain the new land tax scale and their assessment by contacting the Office of State Revenue on 9262 1200.

The Act provides that each shop tenant may only be asked to contribute to a proportionate share of the assessment on a single ownership rate.