Report an electrical accident or shock

All electricity accidents or incidents that occur in Western Australia should be reported.

Electrical shocks, accidents and fatalities

The Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 require that all electric shocks and accidents (including electrical fatalities), irrespective of their seriousness, must be reported to:

  • the employer (if relevant); and 
  • the relevant network operator (supply authority). If the person making the report cannot identify the network operator, the fact must be reported to EnergySafety.

When the incident is reported to the employer, the employer is also required to report the occurrence to the relevant network operator (or EnergySafety if the network operator cannot be identified).

To contact the relevant network operator:

  • Western Power: 13 13 51
  • Horizon Power: 13 23 51
  • Rio Tinto: 1800 992 777
  • BHP Billiton Newman: 1300 632 483 - Option 4
  • BHP Billiton Nickel West: 9026 5262

Note: All electrical fatalities must also be reported to EnergySafety

What are electric shocks, incidents and accidents?

An electric shock is defined as an incident which does not require medical or first aid treatment.

An electrical accident is defined as an incident which requires medical or first aid treatment and includes fatalities.

Reporting to EnergySafety (where Network Operator is not known)

Electric shocks and accidents that are to be reported to EnergySafety:

Freecall 1800 678 198 (all hours, from anywhere in Western Australia)

During business hours, the calls are diverted to EnergySafety's Cannington office (08) 6251 1900.  Outside of business hours, the calls are diverted to an after-hours answering service.  This freecall number only applies to incidents, accidents and shocks that occur within Western Australia.

Share this page:

Last modified: