The information on this page applies only to employers and employees in the WA state industrial relations system. The state system covers businesses which operate as sole traders, unincorporated partnerships, unincorporated trust arrangements as well as any incorporated associations or not for profit bodies that are not trading or financial corporations. The Guide to who is in the WA State System has more detail.
This information does not apply to any business which operates as a Pty Ltd business and is a trading or financial corporation nor to any incorporated association or not for profit body that is a trading or financial corporation. These businesses and organisations are in the national fair work system and should visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for information on employment laws.
Requirements for payslips
Many WA awards require employers to provide payslips to their employees so ensure you check the relevant award provisions.
Subject to any award provisions, standard inclusions on a payslip are:
- employer business name and ABN
- employee name and job title or job classification
- date of payment
- period of payment
- the ordinary hourly rate of pay and the number of hours worked at that rate
- allowances such as overtime, penalty rates and shift allowances
- deductions from pay including the amount, type of deduction and who it was sent to
- gross wage, net wage and tax deducted
- superannuation details, including the amount of superannuation contribution made by the employer (and any employee contribution), and the name of the fund
It is not compulsory to provide a payslip to employees who are award-free. However it is good business practice to provide a payslip and this may help to avoid confusion and disputes if queries arise.
Note that if an award free employee makes a written request for pay related information, the employer is required to provide it.
There are also record keeping requirements concerning pay related information that employers are obliged to meet.
Contact Wageline if you require assistance.
Employers can use Wageline’s Payslip Template to help provide payslips to their employees.
All state system employers are legally required to keep employment records that detail time worked, leave taken and pay received by employees.
Share this page: