Policy statements communicate matters of strategic importance concerning public sector labour relations and industrial relations.
A policy statement is designed to:
- outline a government direction that is not enunciated in other legislative, regulatory or administrative documentation; and/or
- represent a course of action and/or an act of discretion to achieve a government’s objective or decision; and/or
- flag key issues and provide a framework and foundation for agencies to develop their own workplace specific policies.
The policy statements do not attempt to provide agency-specific industrial information. It is therefore imperative that agencies refer to the detailed information contained in:
- Awards and agreements covering individual workplaces
- Circulars to Departments and Authorities
- Industrial Legislation
The policy statements are dynamic documents and may be updated to reflect changing circumstances.