Working in WA on a visa

This page is for: 
EmployerEmployee / worker

Working holiday and student visa workers have the same entitlements as other employees working in Western Australia.

This page outlines where working holiday and student visa workers and their employers can go for help with understanding rights and obligations in WA workplaces.

The Department of Commerce is currently undertaking an employment audit of fruit and vegetable growers in regional Western Australia. This means that selected growers are being required to provide time and wages records to the Department as evidence that correct wages are being paid to employees. Read the campaign announcement for more information. 

Information for workers

If you are working in WA on a working holiday or student visa you are likely to be covered by workplace laws that provide minimum pay rates and employment conditions.

The legal minimum pay rates for your workplace will depend on the industry and type of business your employer has, and the work you are doing.  For example WA industry based awards set the rates of pay which apply to many workers in the agriculture and horticulture industries.  

If you are seeking information on what minimum rates and conditions apply to the work you are doing while you are here in WA, start by calling Wageline on 1300 655 266.  Wageline can help you find out the right legal pay rates and what to do if you think you have not been paid correctly. 

Other key contacts:

  • If you require an interpreter, you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50 or visit the website.
  • For information on safety and health in the workplace, call WorkSafe on 1300 307 877 or visit WorkSafe's website
  • ​For information on taxation and superannuation, call the Australian Taxation Office on 13 13  or visit  


Information for employers

If you are employing people in WA who are on a working holiday or student visa you must be aware of your employment obligations.

Your employment obligations will depend upon whether your business operates in the national or state system, the industry you are in and the work the employees are doing.  For example state and national awards set the rates of pay which apply to many workers in the agriculture and horticulture industries.

Wageline can provide information on employment obligations to unincorporated businesses in WA such as sole traders and partnerships that are in the state industrial relations system.  The Private sector employers and employees section of this website also contains an extensive range of information for state system employers.

If your query relates to a Pty Ltd business please contact the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94 or visit






Share this page:

Last modified: