Application for a motor vehicle dealer licence
Who needs to apply for a licence
Anyone who carries on any class or description of the business of buying or selling vehicles in Western Australia is required to be licensed as a dealer under the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973.
This includes a business consisting of buying vehicles for wrecking, financing, auctioning or hiring.
The types of vehicles for which a person must hold a motor vehicle dealer’s licence to buy or sell includes:
- passenger vehicles
- commercial vehicles
- caravans/camper trailers
- four wheel drive vehicles
What do I need to complete an application
To apply for a licence you must complete the application form and provide all relevant supporting documentation as follows:
- complete all of the relevant sections of the application form
- attach/pay the correct fee
- provide the relevant Police Check/s, not more than three (3) months old for all partners/directors or the sole trader from our list of approved providers
- attach the Dealer/Yard Manager Licence Requirements Course Certificate
- attach a simple statement of your assets, liabilities and net worth
- sign the authorisation and declaration
- all directors/partners sign the authority and declaration
- check to make sure that the application form is complete and that you have provided all relevant supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Lodging your application
The application fee/s is payable at the time of lodging this application.
The fees and forms page contains further details about:
- how to lodge your application;
- relevant fees;
- other licensing forms; and
- how to contact us.
Share this page: