Application for a Street Appeal within the Perth Metropolitan Area Street Collections [Regulation] Act (1940)
Important information for applicants
Please ensure that you read the following information before completing the attached application form.
What is a street collection?
A street collection is the ‘soliciting of funds or contributions and the selling and offering for sale of any button, badge, token, or other similar thing for the purpose of raising funds or contributions’ in a public street or thoroughfare.
Any organisation wanting to conduct a street collection in Perth metropolitan area for any purpose must have a street collection permit.
What days can be we collect?
The Street Collections (Regulation) Act 1940 only allows for fifty days to be allocated each year for street appeals. Street collections must be held on a Friday unless otherwise approved by the Minister for Commerce and Industrial Relations.
The Department allows three organisations to conduct appeals on the same day. This would permit up to 150 organisations to conduct appeals each year. Due to the limited number of days allocated for street collections generally only one appeal is allowed for each applicant per year.
A roster of all currently approved street appeals is available at www.dmirs.wa.gov.au/charities
. You may wish to refer to this roster to see which other organisations may be collecting on your proposed appeal date.
A street collection permit gives the holder the right to collect money from the public in any street, roadway, mall or lane in the Perth metropolitan area. This permit does not cover collecting on private property, such as shopping centres. In these cases approval should be obtained from the relevant property managers or owners.
Please note that organisations also need to obtain permission from the relevant local Council for the area they wish to collect in.
When can we collect?
Street collection permits are issued for the hours between 7:00am and 9:00pm to allow organisations to take advantage of Friday late night trading in the Perth and Fremantle CBDs.
What are the requirements for conducting the appeal?
Street collections must be carried out strictly in accordance with established guidelines. Before commencing your appeal please read the Street Collection Guidelines
- Complete this application usins a PEN. Write clearly using BLOCK LETTERS
- Please return your completed application by email or post
- The Department requires at least two weeks’ notice to issue a street collection permit.
- If the application is approved a written permit will be issued to the Organisation. The appeal may only be conducted on the date and time specified by this permit.
- After the street collection has been undertaken the permit holder is required to lodge a Street Collections Statement setting out the amount of money raised and the expenses incurred. This statement must be lodged within 30 days.
- If you require assistance completing this form please contact the Associations & Charities Branch on 1300 304 074 or (08) 6552 9364.
Lodging your application
The charities forms and publications page contains further details about:
- how to lodge your application;
- relevant fees;
- other charities forms; and
- how to contact us.