Archived - Call for public comment – live electrical work and work in roof spaces - Closed 31 March 2017
Our offices will close from Monday 24 December 2018 and will reopen on Thursday 3 January 2019. For urgent assistance during that period you can contact us.
EnergySafety and WorkSafe are calling for public comment on proposals to amend the Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 and the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 to prohibit work on energised electrical installations.
Key features of the proposals include:
- a prohibition on conducting electrical installing work on or near an energised electrical installation;
- a general exception where a risk assessment determines there is no reasonable alternative to carrying out the work (e.g. testing the installation, or where there is no alternative means of providing power to life support equipment);
- if work is to be carried out on or near an energised electrical installation, a requirement to complete a safe work method statement and use appropriate personal protective equipment; and
- for any work to be conducted in a roof space of certain domestic dwellings, a requirement for the electrical installation to be de-energised and isolated before entering the roof space.
A draft Code of practice: Work on or near energised electrical installations & in roof spaces of certain buildings has been prepared to assist people to comply with the proposed new regulations. Anyone with an interest in electrical safety is invited to comment on the proposed amendments to the regulations, or the draft code of practice.
Draft amendments to the Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 and the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 are now available for comment.
Accompanying the consultation draft are:
- Explanatory notes providing specific information about the intent of each change and how the regulation might affect your business; and
- a draft copy of the Code of Practice - Work on or near energised electrical installations.
The closing date for comments is 5pm on Friday 31 March 2017.
Comments should be addressed to:
Mr Saj Khan
Director, Policy and Electrical Engineering
EnergySafety, Department of Commerce
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square WA 6850
or by email to livework@commerce
Share this page: