Converting a certificate of competency to a gasfitting permit
This application form is used to convert your certificate of compentency to a gasfitting permit.
Fact sheet - gasfitting certificate of competency to permit
This fact sheet explains what your entitlements are and how to obtain a gasfitting permit when surrendering your certificate of competency to EnergySafety.
Certificate of competency (CoC)
CoCs were issued by the State Energy Commission (SEC) in the 1980's and early 1990's so that the holder could carryout gasfitting work. Each CoC carried an endorsement identifying a class of gasfitting which the holder could perform:
- Class A was for installation work where teh gas in use was lighter than air, ie natural gas;
- Class B was for service work on installations where the gas in use was lighter than air;
- Class C was for installation work where the gas in use was heavier than air ie LP gas;
- Class D was for service work on installations where the gas in use was heavier than air;
- Class E was for the installation on LP gas vehicle engines in accordance with AS 1425;
- Class F was for service work on LP gas vehicle engines which complied with AS 1425.
In the early 1990's the issuing of CoCs was phased out in favour of permits as the primary licensing method for gas fitters.
The Gas Standards (Gasfitting and Consumer Gas Installations) Regulations 1999 were introduced in 1999. These regulations better reflected the needs of industry by referencing national standards and introduced a more appropriate gas fitter classification system:
- Class G (general gasfitting) issued for gasfitting on consumer gas installations associated with Type A gas appliances (listed in the regulations) and piping systems operating up to 200 kPa;
- Class I (industrial gasfitting) issued for working on Type B gas appliances and pipings systems operating above 200 kPa;
- Class E issued for working on mobile engines, cars or marine craft operating on gas;
- Class P issued for working on auto gas refuelling facilities.
All classes of gasfitting may be restricted eg restricted to installation or to LP gas only etc.
For further information on the type of evidence required, contact the Gas Utilisation Branch on (08) 6251 1900.
Application for a permit and further information can be obtained from:
Gas Inspection Branch
303 Sevenoaks Street (Entrance Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107
Telephone: (08) 6251 1938
Facsimile: (08) 6251 1902
Licensing office hours:
8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Matrix - certificate of competency and permit class and restriction equivalents
|Certificate of competency class||Equivalent Class G permit|
|A||Installing Natural Gas|
|B||Servicing Natural Gas|
|A, B||Installing and servicing Natural Gas|
|C||Installing LP Gas|
|A, C||Installing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|A, B, C||Servicing Natural Gas, installing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|D||Servicing LP Gas|
|B, D||Servicing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|A, B, D||Installing Natural Gas, servicing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|C, D||Installing and servicing LP Gas|
|A, C, D||Servicing LP Gas, installing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|B, C, D||Installing LP Gas, servicing Natural Gas and LP Gas|
|A, B, C, D||No restrictions|
|Certificate of competency class||Equivalent Class E permit|
|E or E with CD||Installing LP Gas|
|F or F with CD||Servicing LP Gas|
|E, F||Installing and servicing LP Gas|
|E, F (Forklifts only)||Installing and servicing Forklifts - LP Gas|
|Certificate of competency class||Equivalent gasfitting permit class|
|A, B, C, D, E||Class G - No restrictions|
|Class E - Installing LP Gas|
|A, B, C, D, F||Class G - No restrictions|
|Class E - Servicing LP Gas|
|A, B, C, D, E, F||Class G - No restrictions|
|Class E - Installing and servicing LP Gas|
For Class I, Class P, or Class E endorsements for LNG or CNG contact EnergySafety.
This document is not intended to be a complete statement of EnergySafety policy, nor does it attempt to waive or modify any legal obligation.
Share this page: