In-House Electrical licence application
All documents issued prior to 1 July 2017 were issued by the former Department of Commerce. Documents listed here are the latest versions available. For more information on this document, please contact email@example.com.
Fact sheet - In-house electrical installing work licence
Requirement to hold a licence
In Western Australia, the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 provide that electrical contracting work may only be carried out by persons with the appropriate electrical contractor’s licence, as issued by the Electrical Licensing Board.
Regulation 38 provides for the issue of an In-House Electrical Installing Work Licence where an employer engages or employs an electrical worker to carry out electrical installing work other than maintenance work in respect only of premises owned, leased, or occupied by the employer.
Eligibility requirements to apply for a licence
When applying for a licence, the applicant's legal name is the entity's name that appears on all official documents or legal paper (ie John Citizen for an individual or John Citizen Electrics Pty Ltd in the case of a body corporate).
Where the legal entity is a body corporate, the organisation must be registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and document evidence will need to be provided with the application.
A trading name is the name under which the applicant trades, or is known as, by its suppliers and customers and may be different from the applicant's legal name. A trading name must be registered with ASIC and documentary evidence will need to be provided with the application.
Requirement of nominee
Regulation 36 requires that the applicant, or at least one person in the employ of the applicant, is the holder of a current Western Australian electrician's licence and that person has, to the satisfaction of the Electrical Licensing Board, completed the following modules of the Electrical Contractor Training Program (ECTP):
- Operation (Electrical) Legislative Requirements; and
- Electrical Requirements.
Where the electrician has not been a nominee of an Electrical Contractor's licence or an In-House Electrical Installing Work Licence within the past two years, or has not completed the training within the past two years, they will be required to enrol in and complete successfully this part of the ECTP.
Interstate applicants are required to complete successfully the nominee modules of the ECTP as these modules relate to local requirements in Western Australia.
Undertaking the Electrical Contractor Training Program (ECTP)
The nominee modules of the ECTP are designed to broaden knowledge and skills in electrical installation practises in, statutory requirements and inspection of electrical installation work.
The following Registered Training Organisations (RTO's) are approved by the Board to deliver the relevant modules of the ECTP:
- College of Electrical Training - Telephone 9233 5000
- Combined Skills Training Association - Telephone 9440 3600
- South Metropolitan TAFE (Thornlie Campus) - Telephone 9267 7500
Applying for an In-House Electrical Installing Work Licence
To apply for an In-House Electrical Installing Work licence, applicants are required to:
- Submit a completed application form, signed by all relevant parties
- Provide evidence of successful completion of the nominee modules of the ECTP
- Where the applicant is trading in other than their own legal name, a copy of the company extract and if applicable the business name extract issued by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission is required
- Proof of identification, in accordance with the Proof of Identification Fact Sheet, is required for sole trader applicants and nominees
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee (refer to current application form)
- Payment of a registration fee (refer to current application form)
Completed applications can be submitted by:
Locked Bag 14
CLOISTERS SQUARE WA 6850
Level 1, 303 Sevenoaks Street (entrance Grose Avenue)
CANNINGTON WA 6107
Office Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Share this page: