Restricted electrical licence on completion of a refrigeration and airconditioning apprenticeship
All documents issued prior to 1 July 2017 were issued by the former Department of Commerce. Documents listed here are the latest versions available. For more information on this document, please contact email@example.com.
This application form and fact sheet is used to apply for a restricted electrical licence on completion of a refrigeration and airconditioning apprenticeship.
Obtaining a Restricted Electrical Licence on completion of a Refrigeration and Airconditioning apprenticeship
In Western Australia, the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 provide that electrical work may only be carried out by persons with an electrician’s licence, as issued by the Electrical Licensing Board of Western Australia. The purpose of the regulations is to ensure safety for electrical workers and end users of electricity in Western Australia.
When to apply for a Refrigeration and Airconditioning Mechanic's Licence
A restricted electrical licence is required on completing successfully an apprenticeship in the trade of Refrigeration and Airconditioning.
Scope of Work
The Refrigeration and Airconditioning Mechanic's Licence will have the following Scope of Work:
- Disconnect/reconnect R&AC equipment.
- Fault find R&AC power and control circuits.
- Modify, replace or repair within the R&AC "package".
- Modify R&AC control circuits in switchboards/panels.
- Assemble factory supplied cable between R&AC split system components (up to 4kW).
The licence does not authorise the holder to install or alter fixed wiring.
Applying for a Restricted Electrical Licence
To satisfy the Board that you have completed an approved apprenticeship and that you are competent to be licensed, you are required to provide the following information to EnergySafety's Licence Office:
- A completed application form.
- Copy of the Trade Certificate for the trade of 'Engineering Tradesperson (Mechanical)', issued by the Department of Training and Workforce Development.
- Copy of the Certificate III in Engineering Mechanical Trade - Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
- Current copy of the Record of Results, issued by the RTO listing all the Unit of Competence that have been completed successfully.
- Non-refundable application fee.
- Five-yearly registration fee.
- Proof of identification.
Where a Restricted Electrical Licence has not been applied for within six months of completing the apprenticeship, a letter is required explaining why an application was not submitted, who the employer was and the electrical work carried out since completing the apprenticeship.
Completed applications can be submitted by:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square WA 6850
Level 1, 303 Sevenoaks Street (Entrance Grose Avenue)
Cannington WA 6107
Office Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday
Share this page: