RTA review fact sheet - Long term tenancies
How can we encourage landlords to offer tenants longer leases?
- Educate and encourage landlords to offer longer leases.
- Stop or limit the use of fixed term tenancy agreements, so that a tenancy remains open ended for as long as the tenant wants to stay at the premises.
- Allow longer fixed term agreements to have special terms and conditions to encourage their use.
- Give tenants the option to renew for a minimum of five years.
Tell us what you think...
- As a tenant, what has been your experience in securing a long term lease?
- As a landlord, what has been your experience in finding tenants who want a long term lease?
- Why are six and 12 month fixed term tenancy agreements often used?
- Should the Residential Tenancies Act be changed to prevent fixed-term tenancies? Why or why not?
- What special conditions could apply to longer fixed-term tenancies to make them more appealing?
It's easy to have your say!
To submit feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the RTA review: www.commerce.wa.gov.au/tenancyreview or ring 1300 304 054
Share this page: