Safety alert 10/2012 - Concrete soakwell lid fatality
All documents issued prior to 1 July 2017 were issued by the former Department of Commerce. Documents listed here are the latest versions available, but may be subject to review. For more information on this document, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A dogman was killed when a precast concrete soakwell lid weighing approximately 800kg fell on him as it was being lifted off a truck on a construction site. The lid had two lifting inserts rated at 1.3 tonnes each, and was being lifted by a tower crane.
- The lifting inserts were installed with recesses large enough to fit either a 1.3 tonnes rated lifting clutch or a 2.5 tonnes rated lifting clutch.
- The lift was carried out with two lifting clutches rated at 2.5 tonnes each.
- The opening of the lifting clutch had similar dimensions than the maximum width of the lifting insert.
- Install lifting inserts in accordance with the manufacturer’s or supplier’s recommendations on minimum edge distances, depth, concrete strength and additional reinforcement.
- Ensure the use of lifting clutches compatible with the lifting insert – lifting inserts and clutches should be marked with the capacity of the component in tonnes and the manufacturer’s identification mark.
- Ensure no workers are located in a position where they could be struck by a load in the event of a lifting gear failure.
Further information can be obtained from manufacturers and suppliers of the brands of lifting inserts and lifting clutches in use, for lifting insert installation specifications and compatible lifting devices.
Note: safety requirements for lifting and erecting structural concrete panels can be found in Australian Standard 3850: Tilt-up concrete construction.
This Alert contains safety information following inquires made by WorkSafe about an incident or unsafe practice. The information contained in this Alert does not necessarily include the outcome of WorkSafe’s action with respect to an incident. WorkSafe does not warrant the information in this Alert is complete or up to date and does not accept any liability to any person for the information in this report or as to its use.
Share this page: