Sample complaint letter concerning a residential tenancy
All documents issued prior to 1 July 2017 were issued by the former Department of Commerce. Documents listed here are the latest versions available, but may be subject to review. For more information on this document, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your phone number
Your email address (if you have one)
Name of owner or real estate agent
Dear Sir/Madam (or put the name of the owner or estate agent if you know it)
Re: (insert address of property)
I am writing about (put the issue you are writing about here, for example, repairs/copy of documents/notice for visits for the property at address).
This is causing some stress because (say what effect the issue is having on you, for example, it has created a health or safety risk/it is causing financial loss/it is restricting my privacy and quiet enjoyment).
I would appreciate it if you would (say here what you want the owner/agent to do and when you would like it done by ñ but be reasonable with your timeframes, for example:
- have appropriate repairs carried out but be specific for example, to fix the broken window or replace the broken bathroom tiles by...
- provide receipts/documents, specify what receipts/documents you need, by...
- abide by my right to privacy and quiet enjoyment by giving correct notice in future before entering the premises).
I am very happy in this tenancy and look forward to remaining here on good terms. Could you please respond in writing to this letter within seven days to confirm what action you will be taking.
- Keep a copy of any letters you send to the owner/agent.
- Keep your contact with the owner/agent polite
- If you're sending documents, for example quotes, receipts, bills, etc, send copies only, don'triginals
Share this page: