Home buyer / owner


General information The Building Regulations 2012 (the Regulations) requires all private swimming and spa pools that contain water that is more than 300mm deep to have a compliant safety barrier installed that restricts access by young children to the pool and its immediate surrounds. In Western...
Swimming pools and spas
A sustainable building industry will balance environmental, social and economic issues to ensure a viable and valuable industry for future generations. The building industry includes developing, planning, designing, building, altering, or maintaining the built environment. The manufacturers,...
What is the European House Borer? The European House Borer (EHB) is a destructive pest that targets seasoned coniferous timber including pine, fir and spruce. If allowed to become established it can cause major structural damage to buildings. The adult beetle lays its eggs into cracks, holes and...
European House Borer
The Dividing Fences Act 1961 (the Act) combines with local government by-laws to regulate the erection and maintenance of dividing fences in Western Australia. The Act provides a process for sharing costs between neighbours, the determination of boundaries and a mechanism for courts to deal with...
Dividing fences
Most people’s biggest investment is their home, so it is important that your contract to build or renovate goes smoothly. Resolving disputes can be costly, both personally and financially. Building and Energy has a responsibility to ensure that consumers have confidence in the building, building...
Building or renovating your home
As part of its function, Building and Energy provides an avenue for both consumers and builders to resolve disputes relating to the carrying out of regulated building services and home building work contracts. These services are provided to parties as an alternative to the commencement of court...
Building service and home building contract complaints
Western Australia’s Building Commission oversees the regulation of building, painting, building surveying and plumbing services. With all these regulatory functions focused within a single agency, our industry and consumers benefit from a more consistent and efficient service. The Building Services...
About the Building Commission



Consumer Protection is calling for community and industry comment on a proposal to deregulate the fees charged by settlement agents and land valuers in WA. Currently WA is the only state to fix a maximum amount that settlement agents and land valuers can charge for their services. There are currently about 660 licensed settlement agents and 840 licensed land valuers in WA. Acting Commissioner for...
Consumer Protection
Media release
13 May 2014
A man has been arrested in Nigeria in connection with the attempted fraudulent sale of a home in Western Australia. Ntuen Promise EKENMINI was apprehended by Nigerian authorities yesterday when he attended an international courier office and attempted to collect documents with a forged driver’s licence in the name of the South African home owner. The documents related to a supposed settlement of...
Consumer Protection
Media release
15 Aug 2013
The property industry in WA has been warned to be on high alert after recent attempts by overseas criminals to fraudulently sell two WA homes. In separate incidents, real estate agents were approached by fraudsters who successfully changed the contact details of the real owners of the properties, who both lived in South Africa. Copies of documents related to the management of the properties were...
Consumer Protection
Media release
06 Feb 2013
Should you open or close your house to keep cool in a heatwave? Senior Research Fellow at Queensland University of Technology, Wendy Miller, covers this hot topic in her article How to keep your house cool in a heatwave on The Conversation website. Wendy then explains how the design and construction of a home has a bearing on its inside temperature and can even eliminate the desire for an air...
Building Commission
Department News
16 Jan 2014


Subscribe to Topics
Subscribe to RSS - Home buyer / owner