Health care and social assistance
This industry group includes hospitals, medical and other health care services, residential care and social assistance services.
The Safe Steps—National Hospital Intervention and Compliance Campaign, which began in April 2008, saw workplace health and safety inspectors auditing hospitals nationally focusing on the control of manual handling and slip and trip risks. This campaign specifically aimed at reducing the number of manual handling and slip and trip injuries sustained by non clinical (kitchen, laundrette and clinical sterilisation) hospital workers. It also aimed at increasing awareness, through the provision of information, of manual handling and slip and trip hazards in this industry sector.
During March 2009 WorkSafe held a forum delivering the findings and recommendations based on this campaign. The information will assist in informing future directions for workplace health and safety in the healthcare services industry.
- Best practice slips trips and falls (Power Point presentation)
- Audit result (Power Point presentation)
- Survey results (Power Point presentation)
- Further resources
- Aggression in health care (Power Point presentation)
- Prevention and management of aggression in health services (pdf) forms (word version)
- Guide to working with challenging behaviours in health care
- Best practice CSSD design (Power Point presentation)
This section contains publications that relate to the industry including Safety and Health Alerts, Guides, Information Kits, Codes of practice and guidance notes.
- More information
This section is broken into safety topics and general information.
- Contact details This section details all WorkSafe contact information including email addresses and phone numbers.
Please Note: For people new in the industry, induction and general information on hazards in the industry can be found on SmartMove