Information on hazardous substances
Hazardous substances are defined in terms of their direct health effects on people whereas dangerous goods are defined by their physical and chemical properties.
Hazardous substances may be one or more of the following:
Specific information on hazardous substances can either be downloaded from the links above or by using the search engine (top right hand corner).
Frequently asked questions
- What is the definition of a hazardous substance?
- What is a hazardous substances register?
- How often should I update my material safety data sheets (MSDS)?
- What are the recent changes in the legislation for 'hazardous substances'?
- What do manufacturers and importes of 'hazardous substance' need to do?
- What are employers, self-employed people and main contractors need to do with 'hazardous substances' that are going to be used at work?
- Health Surveillance for Hazardous Substances
More frequently asked questions about hazardous substances can be found here.
- Related publications and downloads
- Safe use of chemicals in the woodworking industry-Guidance note
- Controlling hazards in the electroplating industry-Guidance note
- Controlling isocyanate hazards at work-Guidance note
- Soldering in the workplace-rosin fluxes-Guidance note
- Dust hazards in assay labs
- Material safety data sheets (MSDS)-Guidance note
- Working with hydrofluoric acid
- Prevent lead poisoning
- Removal from lead work - Management of workers
- Styrene - Code
- OSH management and contaminated sites-Guidance note
- Prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning-Guidance note
- Mould at work - WorkSafe bulletin 2/2013
- Control Workplace Hazardous Substances Retail Sector
- Control and safe Use of Inorganic Lead
- Assessment Health Risks Arising From Hazardous Substances
- Ethylene Oxide in Sterilisation/Fumigation Processes
- Safe Use of Vinyl Chloride
- Exposure Standards for Atmospheric Contaminants
- Control of Scheduled Carcinogenic Substances
- Labelling of Workplace Substances
- Control of Workplace Hazardous Substances
- Preparation of Material Safety Data Sheets
- Spray painting - Code
- Hazardous substances - Spray painting
- Nanotechnology bulletin
- Globally harmonised system of classifying & labelling chemicals
- Checklist for chemicals in the workplace