Welcome to the WorkSafe library
The library has an extensive collection of resources relating to occupational health and safety, including occupational medicine, chemical safety, ergonomics, safety management, occupational hygiene, work life and society. The library is a free service open to the general public to visit. Employers, employees, safety and health representatives, safety professionals, students and trainers are welcome.
With over 10,000 books and 16,000 journal articles in the library catalogue, we can assist with locating occupational safety and health information. We have a collection of safety films available for loan. There is also a range of databases which you can use in the library, including Chemwatch, Australian Standards and the Building Code of Australia.
Locate indexes, full-text ejournals, websites and guides freely available to anyone over the Internet.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
- Electronic library of construction occupational safety & health (elcosh)
- Hazardous Chemical Information System (HCIS)
- Household products safety database
- ILO Encyclopaedia of Occupational Safety and Health
- National agricultural safety database (NASD)
- National chemical information gateway
- Online interactive risk assessment (OiRA)
- OHS Body of Knowledge
- OSH Answers Fact Sheets
- The Cochrane library
- TOXNET Toxicology data network
Free online journals and newsletters
- African Newsletter on Occupational Health and Safety
- Asian-Pacific Newsletter on Occupational Health and Safety
- At Work
- Australian Building Regulation Bulletin
- Barents Newsletter on Occupational Health and Safety
- Environmental Health Perspectives
- eSAFE newsletter
- Hazards Magazine
- Health and Safety Report
- Industrial Health
- Safety + Health
- Shiftwork International Newsletter
- WorkCover News
- Workplace Issues Magazine
- WorkSafe Magazine
- World of Work Magazine (ILO)
Background resources about safety and health laws
Below are historical documents relating to the development of OSH legislation in Western Australia
1983 Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare legislation - A public discussion document - Hon DK Dans MLC 1983
1987 Second reading speech - Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare Amendment Bill - Hon Peter Dowding
1999 Liability for health and safety at workplaces - Hon David Malcolm
2002 Review of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 - R Laing
2006 Review of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 - Richard Hooker
Further information about the development of federal OSH legislation is available from the following sources.
- Toward national workplace safety and workers compensation systems: a chronology Parliamentary Library
- National Review into Model Occupational Health and Safety laws Safe Work Australia
- National Research Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (NRCOHSR) Australian National University
These websites provide information about significant developments in safety worldwide.
Visit or contact the library
Visit the library
The WorkSafe library has an extensive collection of resources relating to occupational safety and health that are available to library visitors but cannot be borrowed. Visitors are welcome anytime during opening hours. Our librarian is happy to help you locate what you need and show you our collection.
9:00am - 4:00pm Monday – Friday Closed public holidays
Mason Bird Building, 303 Sevenoaks St (cnr Grose Ave), Cannington WA 6107
Library staff can provide small groups with an introduction to library services and resources, including searching the library catalogue. Please contact the Librarian if you wish to arrange a tour.
The Mason Bird Building has a number of visitors bays next to the main entrance.
Travel by train
The Mason Bird Building is located directly opposite the Cannington Railway Station.
Contact the library
Phone 1300 307 877
Enquires may be emailed to the librarian. Every effort will be made to respond to your question promptly, however, complex enquires may take longer.
Share this page: