Do you employ someone to help in the home?

This announcement is for: 
Employee / workerEmployer

Do you employ someone to provide domestic services in a private home?  From today, 20 June 2022, employment obligations for household employers are changing.

Domestic services include caring for a child, a person with a disability or an elderly person, as well as cleaning and help with other household tasks. People who self-manage NDIS funding and directly employ their own support staff are likely to be among those affected by these changes.

Workers providing domestic services for household employers are now entitled to an expanded range of minimum employment protections, and must be paid at least the state minimum wage for every hour worked.

Wageline has created a webpage just for household employers, available at Find specific information about employment obligations, and new publications for household employers who employ a disability or aged care support worker.

Household employers can contact Wageline via email at or call Wageline on 1300 655 266 if they have specific questions about their employment obligations. Wageline can also be contacted via the National Relay Service or the Translating and Interpreting Service.

Labour Relations
Department News
20 Jun 2022

Share this page:

Last modified: