Laws restrict when children can work at the Perth Royal Show

This announcement is for: 
Employee / workerEmployer

Western Australia’s employment of children laws in the Children and Community Services Act 2004 apply to all workplaces including temporary workplaces such as pop up retail outlets, mobile food vans, and amusement rides.

If you own or manage a business or stall operating during the Perth Royal Show you need to know:

  • 15 years old is the youngest a child can work on an amusement ride, including selling or collecting tickets;
  • 13 years old is the youngest a child can work in a retail stall, fast food outlet or café and children who are 13 or 14 must not work before 6am or after 10pm and must have written permission from a parent or guardian;
  • a child is considered to be working whether they are paid or not paid for the work they do;
  • business owners can face substantial fines for employing children in breach of these provisions – up to $24,000 or up to $120,000 for an incorporated employer.

There are exclusions if the child is working in a family business owned by a relative such as a parent, aunt, uncle or grandparent, or the organisation is a charity or not-for-profit organisation. Children of any age can perform as an actor, musician, or entertainer.

Industrial Inspectors from Private Sector Labour Relations will be on duty at the Perth Royal Show this year, visiting rides, stalls and fast food outlets to ensure children are not being incorrectly employed.

The When children can work in Western Australia page of the Wageline website has for more information on child employment laws.

Business owners must also ensure they provide the relevant legal minimum pay rates and other employment entitlements for all employees working at the Perth Royal Show as well as keep required employment records.

If the business is operated as a sole trader, unincorporated partnership or unincorporated trust, visit the Wageline website or contact Wageline for information on rates of pay for employees.

If the business is a Pty Ltd, incorporated partnership or incorporated trust, employers should visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for information on pay rates and employment obligations.

Labour Relations
Department News
02 Sep 2019

Share this page:

Last modified: