Media call - Project Sunbird
Tuesday, 26 March 2013,
Consumer Protection regional office
3/ 50-52 Durlacher Street, Geraldton
Detective Senior Sergeant Dom Blackshaw from WA Police Major Fraud Squad and Detective Senior Constable Rob Martin will be available to talk about their visit to Geraldton as part of Project Sunbird.
- In May 2012 the WA Police Major Fraud Squad began ‘Operation Sunbird’ to investigate whether funds transferred from Western Australia to West Africa were as a result of ‘request for money’ scams/frauds.
- Due to the scale of the problem, what started as a police operation has matured into a long term partnership and collaboration between the Major Fraud Squad and Consumer Protection and has been appropriately renamed ‘Project Sunbird’.
- Sunbird is about intervention. Victims who repeatedly send large amounts of money to places like Ghana, Nigeria or Sierra Leone are notified that they are caught up in a fraud.
- Police figures show that in recent months more than $1 million has been sent to scammers in West Africa from the Midwest region alone (the number of victims identified and individual amounts lost will be disclosed at the media call).
- Both detectives will be speaking to members of the community during an education session at Geraldton RSL Club on 46 Chapman Road at 5.30pm, Tuesday 26 March 2013.
END OF ALERT
Media Contact: Alina Cavanagh
9282 0679 or 0423-846397
Share this page: