Workshops to explain new law for associations and clubs
Consumer Protection will host a series of free workshops throughout the South West to explain the new requirements of the Associations Incorporation Act, which applies to more than 18,000 not-for-profit groups across the State including associations and clubs.
The workshops will run from late February to May in various locations. The Western Australian Associations Incorporation Act 2015 became law on 1 July 2016 and time is marching by for clubs and associations to make any required updates by 1 July 2019.
Commissioner for Consumer Protection David Hillyard said the Act provides a framework of regulation for not-for-profit organisations, such as sport and recreation clubs, societies and community groups, while leaving the internal management of associations largely to the members.
He said the new law was drafted to reflect that many clubs and associations have grown and become more corporate in their activities, structure and dealings with many bigger organisations employing paid staff and generating significant revenue.
“The sessions will highlight key changes under the new law, explain the transitional requirements and provide tools to assist associations to make any required changes,” Commissioner Hillyard said.
“We are pleased to be working with the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries along with local government in Bunbury, Busselton, Collie, Dardanup, Donnybrook - Balingup, Dunsborough and Harvey to host these workshops.”
Associations must review and update their rules in addition to introducing a number of changes regarding financial reporting, governance, privacy and membership of an incorporated association.
Session dates and venues:
- Shire of Harvey Recovery Centre – Tuesday 27 February, 1.30pm - 3.30pm
- Leschenault Leisure Centre – Tuesday 27 February, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
- Hay Park Multi Sports Pavilion – Wednesday 28 February, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Hay Park Multi Sports Pavilion – Wednesday 28 February, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
- Donnybrook Recreation Centre – Tuesday 6 March, 2.30pm - 4.30pm
- Donnybrook Recreation Centre – Tuesday 6 March, 5.30pm - 7.30pm
- Eaton Recreation Centre – Thursday 15 March, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Eaton Recreation Centre – Thursday 15 March, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
- Roche Park Recreation Centre Collie – Tuesday 20 March, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Roche Park Recreation Centre Collie – Tuesday 20 March, 5.30pm - 7.30pm
- City of Busselton Administration Building – Monday 9 April, 5.30pm - 7.30pm
- Dunsborough and Districts Country Club – Monday 30 April, 5.30pm - 7.30pm
- Margaret River Council Chambers – Thursday 24 May, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Margaret River Council Chambers – Thursday 24 May, 6.00pm - 8.00pm
Workshop registrations can be made at www.eventbrite.com.au/d/australia--australia/associations and further information about the sessions is available on 1300 30 40 54 or via email to Bunbury@dmirs.wa.gov.au.
Media Contact: Annetta Bellingeri, (08) 9722 2804 / 0437 966 290 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this page: