Car market operator
A car market is a market provided by a registered car market operator who does not own the secondhand vehicles which are displayed for sale. It is not an auction premises.
Vehicles displayed for sale at a car market cannot be owned by other licensed dealers.
Quite often, a car market will be used for other purposes (such as public parking) on non-normal trading days.
What you need to do to get a registration
To get a car market operator registration you must:
- complete the application form;
- pay the appropriate fee;
- prove that you are over 18 years of age;
- provide the business name/s you plan to use; and
- ensure the company is registered (if applicable). Consumer Protection will check the ASIC register to confirm any registration at the time of application.
If you are thinking of becoming a car market operator and want more information, please contact our Licensing Branch on 1300 304 064.
- The Commissioner can attach conditions or restrictions to any registration.
- A Car Market Operator cannot hold any other licence as a dealer, yard manager or salesperson.
Share this page: