European house borer

European House Borer (EHB) Hylotrupes bajulus (Linnaeus), is a destructive pest of seasoned coniferous timber including pine, fir and spruce. If allowed to become established it could cause major structural damage to buildings.

Timbers commonly used for structural purposes in Australia, including radiata pine, have been shown to be susceptible to damage by EHB.

EHB most often infests roof timbers but is also known to infest architraves, door frames and timber articles such as pine furniture. Evidence of the pest can also be found in living trees with dried-out branch stubs and damaged branches and trunks, dead trees and logs. It only infests seasoned, untreated timber.

Accredited pest controllers

Pest controllers and EHB Inspectors are accredited by the Department of Health (Public Health).  

Frequently asked questions

What if I suspect I have EHB on my property or in my house?

Contact the EHB Response, Freecall 1800 084 881 immediately.

An EHB Response team member will follow up your query. If EHB is detected, one treatment will be required to eradicate the pest and another to prevent reinfestation.

For more information on EHB, a list of affected suburbs and the Regulations affecting pine movement and disposal, visit The Department of Agriculture and Food (DAF).

I think I may have EHB, what should I do?

To report suspected EHB activity, contact the department on freecall 1800 084 881 or email the DAF.

I am buying a house, should I check for EHB?

EHB inspections can be done by a licensed pest controller in the same way termite inspections are carried out.

Who can do an EHB inspection for me?

EHB inspections should be carried out by a licensed pest controller who has had training in EHB detection.  Pest controllers must be accredited by the Department of Health (Public Health).

Do I live in an area where EHB has been found?

For information on where EHB has been found, visit the EHB website

Is it safe to build with pine?

EHB only attacks untreated seasoned pine, therefore treated pine and other roofing materials are not at risk from EHB. The building advice from the Building Commission  is not to use untreated pine for structural purposes in affected areas. You should seek advice from your builder about the most suitable option for your home, or contact the Building Comission.

I have a pine roof, what should I do?

First have your roof inspected regularly. If borer holes are found, please call the EHB Response on 1800 084 881 and someone will visit your property at no cost to identify whether it is EHB. If EHB is confirmed, there are a range of treatments listed on this site and registered with the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

Is EHB a problem if I have or purchase pine furniture?

This could potentially be an issue, particularly if living in a Priority Management Zone, which would mean untreated pine products can not be moved out of the zone without treatment.

For more information visit the DAF website or call 1800 084 881.

Can I treat for EHB?

Treatment methods are detailed on the DAF website.

How much should treatment cost?

Prices vary depending on type of treatment, location and many other factors. You should consult with your builder or pest controller.

Where can I find out more information about EHB?

For more information please go to the DAF website.

Buying and selling a home

Real estate agents should inform buyers about EHB and if a property is in a risk area.  It is also important for buyers to be vigilant and use pest inspectors who have been trained in EHB identification. More details are available on the Department of Agriculture and Food website

Links and contacts

Share this page:

Last modified: