Housing choices for seniors

This page is for: 

What's in a name? Retirement villages, lifestyle villages and strata title

Some complexes use the term 'retirement', 'lifestyle', 'gardens', 'units' or 'apartments' but they can mean different things and don't actually tell you what sort of housing is provided and which laws apply.

The table below will help. If you are unsure, please check your contract/agreement.

Comparison of housing choices
Style/ Definitions Retirement village Residential park Strata title Renting Boarding and lodging Residential aged care
Type of structure/ Premises

Includes units and serviced apartments for 55s and over, retired and spouse/partner.

May use many names, including 'lifestyle village'.

Includes mixed-use parks and lifestyle villages for over 45s.

May use many names, including 'lifestyle village'.

Includes strata schemes for over 55s. Includes private rentals and social housing (public and community housing) Includes licensed lodging houses and private arrangements. Includes hostels and nursing homes with high or low care.
Ownership style Can purchase a lease, rent or buy a strata unit. Can buy or rent the premises.  Land is always leased. Can purchase or lease property.


Tenants pay rent for exclusive possession of premises.


May have exclusive occupation of own room and share common areas


Requires an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment to determine eligibility.

Additional information Rights and responsibilities depend on individual agreements. Structure must be relocatable. A number of individual ownership/ common property scenarios exist. A tenancy agreement gives either a fixed or periodic term and sets out the conditions of the tenancy.

Rent may include meals or just room.

Rights and responsibilities depend upon individual agreements.

May be charged care fees and accommodation bond.

May receive government subsidy.

Legislation Covered by the Retirement Villages Act 1992. Covered by the Residential Parks (Long-stay Tenants) Act 2006. Covered by the Strata Titles Act 1985. Covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 1987. Covered by common law on contracts. Covered by Aged Care Act 1997 (Cth) if government funded.

Share this page:

Last modified: