Motor vehicle repairer's certificate
You must have a motor vehicle repair certificate if you carry on the business of motor vehicle repair work as prescribed under the Motor Vehicle Repairers Regulations in Western Australia.
A motor vehicle repairer's certificate is a "licence" for individuals who:
- own a repair business and do repair work or supervise the repair work of others; or
- supervise the repair work of others; or
- works under a supervisor who does not have a certificate for the same class of repair work that you do; or
- do repair work unsupervised.
In addition, as a certified repairer you can only supervise repair work for the particular class of repairs for which you are qualified. You may apply for certification for more than one class of repair work if you hold the appropriate qualifications and these will be endorsed on your certificate.
The Commissioner for Consumer Protection approves the applications for the licences and believes all individual repairers should consider becoming certified to enhance their career prospects.
What do I need to do to lodge a complete application
The following checklist will help you apply for a repairers certificate:
- Decide which class or classes of repair work you require.
- Check which qualifications or training courses you need to complete to get the certificate you want.
- Download the motor vehicle repairer's certificate application form
- Obtain relevant documents and evidence to support your application.
- Provide passport photos and certified ID.
- Provide the relevant Police Check(s), which are not more than three (3) months old at the time of lodgement, for all partners/directors or the sole trader. Only Police Checks issued by our list of approved providers will be accepted.
- Attach/pay the correct fee. This is payable at the time of lodging the application.
- Check to make sure that the application form is complete and that you have provided all relevant supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned to you.
Certified copies of supporting documents will be accepted and original documents will not be returned. A list of occupations that are authorised to certify documents can be found on our Authorised witness page.
If you are registered or licensed as a motor vehicle repairer elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand, and want to be registered in Western Australia, you can find out more information about having your licence recognised in WA.
Consumer Protection sends courtesy renewal reminders to licensees. These reminders are sent electronically (via sms and email) so it is important that you inform Consumer Protection of your most up to date contact details.
For more information
More detailed information about repairer's certificates and repair business licences can be found on the motor vehicle repairer licening fact sheet.
Should you require assistance with completing the application, please contact the Licensing Branch by telephone on 1300 304 064 (within Australia) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share this page: