Motor vehicle repairer's certificate

You must have a motor vehicle repair certificate if you carry on the business of motor vehicle repair work as prescribed under the Motor Vehicle Repairers Regulations in Western Australia.

A motor vehicle repairer's certificate is a "licence" for individuals who: 

  • own a repair business and do repair work or supervise the repair work of others; or
  • supervise the repair work of others; or
  • works under a supervisor who does not have a certificate for the same class of repair work that you do; or
  • do repair work unsupervised.

In addition, as a certified repairer you can only supervise repair work for the particular class of repairs for which you are qualified. You may apply for certification for more than one class of repair work if you hold the appropriate qualifications and these will be endorsed on your certificate.

The Commissioner for Consumer Protection approves the applications for the licences and believes all individual repairers should consider becoming certified to enhance their career prospects. 

How to apply for a certificate

The following checklist will help you apply for a repairers certificate:

  1. Decide which class or classes of repair work you require.
  2. Check which qualifications or training courses you need to complete to get the certificate you want.
  3. Download the motor vehicle repairer's certificate application form
  4. Obtain relevant documents and evidence to support your application.
  5. Provide passport photos and certified ID.
  6. Obtain a Australian police check from participating Australia Post offices.
  7. Submit your application and pay the relevant fee.

Mutual recognition

If you are registered or licensed as a motor vehicle repairer elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand, and want to be registered in Western Australia, you can find out more information about having your licence recognised in WA.

For more information

More detailed information about repairers certificates and repair business licences can be found on the motor vehicle repairer licening fact sheet.

If you have any questions about applying for a Motor Vehicle Repairer's Certificate, please contact the Licensing Branch on 1300 304 064.

Motor vehicle repairer licensing frequently asked questions

Share this page:

Last modified: