Residential Rent Relief Grant Scheme

The State Government is making available $30 million for grants of up to $2,000 for Western Australian private residential tenants who lost their jobs on or after 20 March 2020 and are facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. This page contains everything you need to know about the rent relief grant and how to apply. 

Please read all information on this page before attempting to submit an application 

Before you can apply for the Residential Rent Relief Grant Scheme, you must meet the eligibility criteria and ensure you have saved all required evidence to support your application in electronic format, ready to upload. We recommend using a PC or laptop as supporting documents must be uploaded at the time of application.

Due to the expected high demand for grants which will be individually assessed, we anticipate the processing of applications may take some time. We appreciate your patience as we work as quickly as possible to attend to every claim.

Terms we use on this page

  • Tenant = all tenants in private rental homes, long-stay residents in residential parks, and boarders and lodgers.
  • Sub-tenant = someone who has entered into a separate verbal or written rental agreement with a tenant named on a rental agreement.
  • Landlord = lessors, property managers, owners, park operators, and providers of boarding and lodging accommodation.

Topic categories:

Applying for the grant

Who is eligible for the grant?

You are eligible for the grant if -

  • You are a tenant or sub-tenant
  • You are a permanent resident, Australian citizen, or have a temporary or permanent protection visa or bridging visa
  • You live in a private residential property, rooming house or residential park
  • You have, or shortly will have, lodged a tenancy bond with the Bond Administrator
  • You are in ‘financial hardship’, meaning 
    • You lost your job on or after 20 March 2020 due to COVID-19
    • You have applied for or are receiving Centrelink income support
    • You and all tenants have less than $10,000 of total household savings
    • You and all tenants contribute more than 25 per cent of the total household income (after-tax) towards rent
  • You have agreed to a reduction in rent with your landlord or have engaged in Consumer Protection's conciliation service

Who is not eligible for the grant?

You are not eligible for the grant if -

  • You are claiming the JobKeeper payment
  • You do not qualify for or have not claimed Centrelink income support
  • You and all tenants have more than $10,000 of total household savings
  • You and all tenants contribute less than 25 per cent of your total household income (after-tax) towards rent
  • You do not have one of the qualifying visas, which includes an international student visa

If you are not eligible for a grant you can still have a conversation with your landlord to negotiate a reduction in rent.

How do I apply?

The online form for applications is open until 29 September 2020, however the total grant funding is $30 million which, depending on demand, may be claimed prior to this date. 

Applications can only be processed if you have negotiated with your landlord for rent reduction or deferral of payments and lodged this agreement with Consumer Protection as part of your application, or if you have been through Consumer Protection's conciliation service to negotiate a new agreement.

What will I need to support my application?

You are required upload documentary evidence to support your application. Before applying you must have saved all required evidence in electronic format, ready to upload. Incomplete applications cannot be submitted or saved to complete at a later time.

You will need to provide:

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Notice of termination of employment on or after 20 March 2020
  • Proof you have applied for, or are in receipt of income support from Centrelink (email, screen shot from MyGov record, letter)
  • Proof household tenants have less than $10,000 in savings (copies of bank statements or balance slips)
  • Proof of household tenants’ income (payslips, letter advising rate of salary/wage)
  • Proof of rent reduction agreement, or proof of participation in Consumer Protection’s conciliation service
  • Proof of one of the following: citizenship, permanent residency, protection visa, or bridging visa (birth certificate, VEVO certificate, copy of visa or citizenship certificate, passport)
  • If you have lodged a bond with the Bond Administrator, proof of bond lodgement, or proof bond will be registered with the Bond Administrator

Accepted file types: pdf, doc, docx, jpg, jpeg, gif, png, eml, msg

Maximum file size: 8MB

You will also need to provide the name and contact details of the private landlord or the real estate agency managing the property you rent.

What is meant by household income?

In any residence there may be more than one tenant on the agreement, so the total income of all people party to that agreement is considered. It is the total income after tax within the household that determines eligibility.

What is meant by household savings?

Similarly to household income, household savings refers to the total amount of savings held in the bank accounts of those living in the household that are party to the rental agreement.

What is meant by a private residential property?

A private residential property is one that is privately owned by a landlord or company and excludes social and public housing. Generally the owner manages the property themselves or contracts a licensed real estate agency to do so.

Receiving the grant

How is the amount of rent relief determined?

The grant is paid to the landlord and will be equivalent to four-weeks' rent up to a maximum of $2,000, whichever is the lesser. However, the tenant needs to benefit from a reduced rent or rental debt as a result of the grant.

How is it paid?

The tenant applies for the grant but it will be paid directly to the landlord. Both the landlord and tenant must agree to the Terms and Conditions before the grant is paid.

Will I have to pay back the grant?

No, the grant will not have to be repaid by either landlord or tenant.

What if my tenant can’t or refuses to apply for the grant?

Advice on how to negotiate a reduced rent agreement with a tenant who refuses to apply is available.

What if my rent is reduced but I have to pay the accrued difference at a later date?

The grant can be paid but it will be conditional on your landlord reducing your future rental debt by the amount of any grant that is approved. Your landlord will need to provide a written agreement to Consumer Protection that indicates any deferred rental debt will be reduced before the grant is paid.

How to negotiate a reduced rent agreement

How do I negotiate a reduced rent agreement with my landlord, or tenant?

If a tenant and landlord need help to agree on a reduced rent arrangement, where can they go?

Consumer Protection provides a new COVID-19 Residential Tenancies Mandatory Conciliation Service to assist tenants and landlords to reach agreement. Call 1300 304 054 or email

More information

Is there a paper copy of the form?

Due to the large volume of applications expected, if you do have access to a computer with internet access it is quicker and more efficient to submit your application online.

If you do not have access to a computer then we can post out a manual form to complete. Please note that there are significant supporting documents that will need to be provided as part of the application.

Completed applications can be posted to the department or dropped off at one of our offices throughout the state

For more details call Consumer Protection on 1300 304 054.

Ready to submit your application for the Residential Rent Relief Grant?

Before proceeding ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and have saved all required evidence to support your application in electronic format, ready to upload. 

Note: The online form is not supported in Internet Explorer. Please ensure you access the form via a different browser. 

Apply online now

Share this page:

Last modified: