Temporary service outage
This website will be unavailable for a short five minute period between 21:30 and 23:30 on Friday 30th October 2020 and on Sunday 1st November 2020. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Travel information and checklist
When you book travel, tours, tickets and accommodation in Western Australia, you have consumer rights under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL).
The following links provide important tips and information for visitors to Western Australia about:
- renting a hire car;
- buying a car;
- booking accommodation and tours; and
- where to get advice when you need it.
Tours, travel and travel agents
Information about your shopping rights under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), including:
- gift shopping tips;
- music festivals and outdoor events;
- the Sharing Economy;
- ticket scalping and on-selling;
- returns and refunds; and
- shopping rights in other languages
When you buy products in Australia, you can expect these products to work properly and safely.
You can find product safety information about a range of products sold in Australia, including:
You may choose to rent accommodation during your visit to Western Australia, either for a short term break or a longer term working holiday.
The following pages provide advice and tips on keeping you and your family safe when you rent accommodation:
- portable swimming pool safety
- rules for pools and spas (Building Commission)
- blind and curtain cord safety
- balconies and decks
Renting a hire car
Buying a car
- buying a vehicle;
- buyer's checklist;
- who to buy a car from;
- sales contracts and cooling off periods;
- vehicle warranty;
- motor vehicle insurance and licensing;
- vehicle scams; and
- PPSR check - When you buy a second-hand vehicle privately there is a risk that there could be money owing on it. As the new owner you could become liable for this debt. The Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) is a service that can tell you whether or not a vehicle is recorded as "encumbered"meaning there could be money owing on the vehicle or that the seller may not own the vehicle outright. It is advisable to do a PPSR check.
Pre-booking travel checklist
This pre-booking travel checklist provides a few tips you should consider before purchasing travel, accommodation, tourist attractions and travel insurance:
- Am I dealing with a reputable travel agent?
- Am I using a secured payment site?
- Are there any extra charges for tours, tickets, meals, local charges or accommodation?
- Are there any safety alerts (DFAT) for my destination?
- Does the accommodation have all the facilities I want?
- Is the accommodation conveniently located?
- Will transport and tourist attractions be open?
- Do I need travel insurance?
- What are the passport and visa requirements?
- Are there any vaccination or health requirements?
- If I postpone my trip, do I have to pay any additional costs?
- If I cancel my trip, am I entitled to a refund? (If so, what conditions, if any, apply?)
- Does the travel agent I'm dealing with have insolvency insurance or other safeguards in place to protect my funds?
For additional information on your consumer rights, contact Consumer Protection on:
- Phone: 1300 304 054
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Share this page: