Employment rights for young workers in WA

This page is for: 
EmployerEmployee / worker

As a young worker, starting your career is an exciting time and knowing your employment rights and where to find the right information is very important to check you are getting paid correctly.

The first step in understanding your employment rights is to work out which system covers your employment. Two systems of employment law operate for the private sector in Western Australia:

  • the state industrial relations system; and
  • the national fair work system

Find out which system covers your employment

Information for state system employees

If you are covered by the state industrial relations system, the Finding the right pay rate page will help you work out if a WA award applies to your job and what pay rates apply.

Other pages with handy employment information are:

The Making a complaint about underpayment of wages or entitlements page outlines the steps you can take if you think you have been underpaid wages or entitlements.

Information for national system employees

The Fair Work Ombudsman helps national system employees with pay rates, queries about modern awards, and all leave except long service leave. Visit www.fairwork.gov.au or call 13 13 94.

If you have believe you have been underpaid by a national system employer, you can anonymously report a wage theft / underpayment issue to the Fair Work Ombudsman.

When children can work in WA

Laws restrict the types of jobs and where young people 15 years and under can work, along with the hours they can work.

Visit the When children can work for more information.

Wageline resources

Our explainer video series are a resource which can help you to understand your employment rights under state employment laws. You can watch the videos on the Employment explainer videos page.

To keep updated with information and updates on state employment laws, including minimum pay rates, public holidays and changes to WA award changes and conditions follow Wageline on social media and subscribe to Wageline News.

Where else to get help

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Below are links to other agency websites.

Apprenticeships, traineeships, workplace skills and development

Visit Jobs & Skills WA for careers and training advice and assistance.

The Apprenticeship Office at the Department of Training and Workforce Development can help young workers with information relating to vocational education and training (VET), workforce development and apprenticeship and traineeship contracts.

Workplace Health and Safety

For workplace health and safety tips or to report a workplace incident, visit WorkSafe at the Department of Energy, Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

Last modified: