How do I apply for an Unrestricted Asbestos Removal Licence?
An Unrestricted Asbestos Removal Licence is required to be able to remove all forms of asbestos (friable and non-friable).
Friable asbestos means any material that contains asbestos and is in the form of a powder, or can be easily crumbled, pulverised or reduced to a powder by hand pressure when dry. Examples of friable asbestos include, but are not limited to, asbestos lagging, sprayed insulation, millboard, felt and woven asbestos matting.
The licence is valid for a period of three years and is endorsed with a number of conditions that relate to the way asbestos removal work is carried out.
It is a requirement for the grant of an initial unrestricted asbestos removal licence that the Nominated Supervisor completes the following two VET courses:
- CPCCBC4008 Supervise asbestos removal or its replacement, and
- CPCCDE3015 Remove friable asbestos or its replacement.
The courses must be provided by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
The Nominated Supervisor may also be the Licence Holder, for example, a sole operator who owns a company and performs the role of the Nominated Supervisor.
The application must include:
- A completed Application form;
- the applicable application fee;
- if an individual, certified copies of primary and secondary identification;
- signed conditions of the unrestricted licence;
- two written references;
- details of asbestos removal licences issued in other States or Territories if held.
The applicant must also provide the following documentation which will be subject to assessment and verification by WorkSafe;
- The provision of a procedures manual which describes all asbestos removal methods covered by the licence including, all legal requirements associated with asbestos removal work. The manual must be consistent with the requirements of the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos 2nd Edition [NOHSC: 2002 (2005)];
- The provision of a training manual which covers the training of all workers involved in asbestos removal work and is consistent with the Code of Practice;
- Evidence that all equipment to be used for asbestos removal under the licence is either approved or otherwise consistent with the requirements of the Code of Practice;
- References which confirm you have the necessary experience, as stated in your Statement of Experience, and which have been subject to verification by WorkSafe.
The licence holder must notify WorkSafe in the below circumstances by using the below forms:
- (7) days prior to work commencing or their intention to remove asbestos
- When an employee/contractor commences work with the employer under the unrestricted asbestos removal licence Advice of employment in unrestricted asbestos removal form.
- When terminating an employee/contractor under the unrestricted asbestos removal licence Advice of termination in unrestricted asbestos removal form.
- Advice of employment in unrestricted asbestos removal form
- Advice of termination in unrestricted asbestos removal form
- Notification of asbestos removal
Please refer to the WorkSafe Licensing fees page for fees related to your licence.
The Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 does not provide for the refund of any fees paid in respect of an asbestos application.
Share this page: