How do I apply for an Unrestricted Asbestos Removal Licence?
An Unrestricted Asbestos Removal Licence allows the licence holder, or people employed by the licence holder, to remove all forms of asbestos (friable and non-friable). Friable asbestos means any material that contains asbestos and is in the form of a powder, or can be easily crumbled, pulverised or reduced to a powder by hand pressure when dry. Examples of friable asbestos include, but are not limited to, asbestos lagging, sprayed insulation, millboard, felt and woven asbestos matting.
The licence in valid for a period of three years and is endorsed with a number of conditions that relate to the way asbestos removal work is carried out.
To obtain an Unrestricted Asbestos Removal Licence the application must include:
- a completed Application forms;
- the applicable Application fee;
- if an individual, certified copies of primary and secondary identification;
- statement of recent and relevant experience on the template provided;
- signed conditions of the unrestricted licence;
- two written references;
- asbestos removal work procedures manual;
- asbestos removal work training manual;
- list of unrestricted asbestos removal related equipment; and
- details of asbestos removal licences issued in other States or Territories;
Please note: documents required in support of an application are required to be certified by an authorised witness.
The applicant must provide the following documentation which will be subject to assessment and verification by WorkSafe, to ensure the information and documentation meets all necessary criteria:
- the provision of a procedures manual which describes all asbestos removal methods covered by the licence and is consistent with the requirements of the Code of Practice for the Safe Removal of Asbestos 2nd Edition [NOHSC: 2002 (2005)];
- the provision of a procedures manual which includes all legal requirements associated with asbestos removal work;
- the provision of a training manual which covers the training of all workers involved in asbestos removal work and is consistent with the Code of Practice; training is carried out by a competent person;
- all equipment for asbestos removal is either approved or otherwise consistent with the requirements of the Code of Practice;
- satisfactory statement of previous experience in asbestos removal work. At least one person must have adequate experience at supervisory level in asbestos removal work; and
- references which confirm you have the necessary experience, as stated in your Statement of Experience, and which have been subject to verification by WorkSafe.
The licence holder/competent person must notify WorkSafe:
- (7) days prior to work commencing or their intention to remove asbestos notified of asbestos removal.
- When an employee/contractor commences work with the employer under the unrestricted asbestos removal licence Advice of employment in unrestricted asbestos removal form.
- When terminating an employee/contractor under the unrestricted asbestos removal licence Advice of termination in unrestricted asbestos removal form.
- Advice of employment in unrestricted asbestos removal form
- Advice of termination in unrestricted asbestos removal form
- Notification of asbestos removal
Listed below are the licensing fees for unrestricted asbestos removal licence. These fees are current as of 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2020. Please note: No GST is payable on fees.
- New application for an unrestricted asbestos licence: $14,910.00
- Renewal application for an unrestricted asbestos licence: $11,680.00
The Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 does not provide for the refund of any fees paid in respect of an asbestos application.
Share this page: