Role and responsibilities
The functions of a safety and health representative are:
- To regularly inspect the workplace areas you were elected to represent at agreed times and frequency.
- To immediately investigate the scene and details of any accident, dangerous incident or risk of serious injury or harm to any person.
- To keep up to date with workplace safety and health information provided by the employer and liaise with government and other bodies.
- To report hazards in the workplace to the employer.
- To refer any matters that you think should be considered by the committee, where there is a safety and health committee for the workplace.
- To consult and cooperate with the employer on safety and health matters.
- To liaise with employers and employees about safety and health matters.
Elected safety and health representatives receive a handbook as a day-to-day ready reference guide
Share this page: