Safe Work Month 2019
This Safe Work Month WorkSafe wants you and your workplace to focus on safety and think about why safety and health is important.
Safety and health workshops 2019
WorkSafe WA is hosting the popular Safety and Health Workshops series throughout October. These expert led workshops sell-out quickly for good reason, so book early to avoid disappointment.
Plan your own event or activity
Have you considered taking part in Safe Work Month? Below are some ideas and resources to assist you in planning an event for Safe Work Month.
Why get involved?
- It shows a commitment to safety and health in your workplace;
- it provides an opportunity to raise safety issues and solutions; and
- it is an opportunity to increase your workplace's knowledge of safety and health.
- Set your target audience - training, information or activities can be planned for small work teams, a work area, division or the whole workplace
- Plan - what type of activity or event is best suited for your target audience, the issue or topic and the budget
- Promote - copy and distribute a flyer/email, ask managers and supervisors to promote the event, tell people about it by word of mouth, which is the best way to get information to people. Download a poster to display in your workplace
- On the day - take photos of your activity for your own records, to publish in your work newsletter or place on notice boards
Activities ideas for your workplace
- Set up a safety display. Consider using Safe Work Month poster to promote safety in your workplace.
- Show safety in action
- Check for hazards in your workplace. The first step
- Conduct an emergency evacuation drill
- Check chemicals and hazardous substances are stored and labelled properly and have an MSDS. Guidance note MSDSs
- Do some housekeeping to tidy work areas
Education and training
Health and wellbeing
Healthier Workplaces WA provides free tools and resources to assist organisations in developing and maintaining a health and wellbeing program.
Spread the word
- Display posters and publications in your workplace.
- Include a safety bulletin in newsletters or emails
- Organise a safety and health morning tea to meet reps or committee members.
Download our resources for your Safe Work October event.
For your notice board
- Display a Safe Work October poster
Quizzes and activities
- Use our Safe Work October activities as a basis to form a work health and safety quiz relevant to your workplace or industry.
- The Small Business quick safety quiz to assist in identifying areas requiring improvement. Although this quiz is aimed at small business it can be useful for medium businesses.
Managing the risk of falls at workplaces: Running time: 13:05 mins
Falling from one level to another is a major workplace hazard and is the most common cause of death from traumatic injuries in construction. Fall hazards occur in all industries and most fatalities occur from a relatively low height. It is vital to secure the health and safety of workers by undertaking adequate risk management. This film will show you how to identify fall hazards, assess the risks, control the risks, and implement and maintain controls.
Manual tasks: Running time: 11:32 mins
This video will show you how to identify hazardous manual tasks, how to assess risks arising from hazardous manual tasks, and how to control the risk.
Hazardous substances: Running time: 12:13 mins
This film will show you how to identify hazardous substances, assess the risk of injury or harm and control the risk.
Asbestos: The Wittenoom Tragedy: Running Time: 13:31 mins
This video includes the reflections of Dr Jim McNulty (former Commissioner for Health) concerning asbestos mining operations at Wittenoom which led to serious health problems for workers at the mine and residents in the town.
New to the job: Running Time: 23:03 mins
New to the job can be used as part of an induction program for new workers.
Inspect your workplace
Use one of WorkSafe's checklists to inspect your workplace.
- Subby pack
- The first step
- Checklist for asbestos management
- Checklist for chemicals in the workplace
- Checklist for confined space
- Checklist for electricity
- Checklist for evacuation
- Checklist for forklifts
- Checklist for guarding
- Checklist for inspecting workplace bullying
- Checklist for isolation of plant/lockout-out tag-out
- Checklist for lead exposure management in fire assay facilities
- Checklist for managing contract workers
- Checklist for manual tasks
- Checklist for new and young people
- Checklist for noise
- Checklist for plant
- Checklist for slips trips and falls
- Checklist for violence and aggression
- Checklist for worker safety on or near public roads
- Checklist for work experience
- Checklist for working alone
- Checklist for working at height
- Checklist for young workers induction
- Industry checklist - agricultural safety and health checklist
- Industry checklist - abattoirs - managing zoonoses risks
- Industry checklist - accommodation industry
- Industry checklist - aircraft maintenance
- Industry checklist - amusement centres and operators or inflatables
- Industry checklist - architectural aluminium and metal container manufacturing industries
- Industry checklist - asbestos in state and local government
- Industry checklist - automotive body paint & interior repair
- Industry checklist - carpet and tile retailing
- Industry checklist - car retailing industry
- Industry checklist - catering industry
- Industry checklist - cleaning industry
- Industry checklist - clothing and footwear retail
- Industry checklist - commercial property owners and property managers
- Industry checklist - commercial vehicle drivers
- Industry checklist - cranes
- Industry checklist - electrical, electronic and gas appliance retailing
- Industry checklist - escalator and moving walkway
- Industry checklist - fish wholesalers
- Industry checklist - freight forwarding safety project
- Industry checklist - funeral industry
- Industry checklist - furniture retailing
- Industry checklist - goods and equipment retail and hiring industry
- Industry checklist - heavy machinery and scaffold hire
- Industry checklist - hazardous substances - Spray painting
- Industry checklist - home based care
- Industry checklist - horse stables
- industry checklist - inflatable water slides
- Industry checklist - labour hire
- Industry checklist - laundries and drycleaning
- Industry checklist - management of asbestos in the workplace
- Industry checklist - machinery and equipment repair and maintenance
- Industry checklist - machinery and equipment wholesalers
- Industry checklist - mobile plant in construction
- Industry checklist - motor vehicle body & trailer manufacture
- Industry checklist - noise
- Industry checklist - noise in agriculture
- Industry checklist - noise in construction
- Industry checklist - noise in music venues
- Industry checklist - noise in the manufacturing industry
- Industry checklist - nursery and garden centres
- Industry checklist - parks and gardens
- Industry checklist - pest control industry
- Industry checklist - plant and mobile plant movement in the retail and transport industry
- Industry checklist - powder coaters campaign
- Industry checklist - pubs, taverns and bars
- Industry checklist - recreational diving industry
- Industry checklist - regional local government checklist
- Industry checklist - restaurants
- Industry checklist - road freight transport industry
- Industry checklist - scaffold campaign
- Industry checklist - scientific testing and analysis
- Industry checklist - scrap metal
- Industry checklist - sporting facilities
- Industry checklist - store-based retailing
- Industry checklist - supermarkets and grocery stores
- Industry checklist - takeaway food industry
- Industry checklist - tree loppers and garden services
- Industry checklist - vegetable growing industry
- Industry checklist - waste collection
- Industry checklist - waste and recycling industry
- Industry checklist - warehousing
Calendar of events
Monday 7 October 2019 - 10.00am-11.00am
- Mediation in the Workplace – Matters to Consider
Thursday 10 October 2019 - 10.00am-11.00am
- Embracing work-life balance
Tuesday 15 October 2019 - 9.00am – 11.30am
- Armed holdups and violence in the retail sector
Wednesday 16 October 2019 - 9.30am-11.30am
- Isolation of plant – morning session
Thursday 17 October 2019 - 10.00am-12.00pm
- Work related musculoskeletal disorders : Prevention and management framework
Tuesday 22 October 2019 - 9.00am-11.30am
- Safety and health representative forum : supporting those who make our workplace safer
Thursday 24 October 2019 - 10.00 -11am
- Crystalline silica and silicosis
Monday 28 October 2019 - 9.00am – 11.30am
- Plant in the workplace
Tuesday 29 October 2019 - 9.00am-11.30am
- Public Sector safety and health representative forum : supporting those who make our workplace safer
Book now to attend a workshop.
Share this page: