The Area, Scope and Definitions clauses of the state Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award have been updated to improve clarity about coverage of this WA award.
This change, which is effective from 12 October 2023, was made as part of a process being undertaken by the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission to update the scope of a number of private sector WA awards.
Specifically, the changes to the Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award clarify that the award:
- applies to employers and employees in award classifications in the restaurant and catering industry, including restaurants, cafés, canteens, and takeaway and fast-food establishments;
- applies to labour hire organisations that supply employees to host employers in the restaurant and catering industry to perform work that is otherwise covered by the award;
- has effect throughout Western Australia and applies to employers who are “connected to the State of Western Australia” and their employees while performing work covered by the award;
- does not apply to employers and employees in the national industrial relations system; and
- does not apply to employers and employees who are subject to other specified State awards, where the work performed might be similar in nature.
The Order varying the Restaurant, Tearoom and Catering Workers Award will be available on the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission website in due course.