Fundraising and grants

Many associations undertake some form of fundraising or seek grants in order to help finance their not-for-profit activities. This chapter provides information on the legal requirements that associations must take into consideration.

Key points

  • Incorporated associations that wish to collect funds from the public for a charitable purpose must have a licence in Western Australia. 
  • Permission to fundraise in shopping centres must be obtained from the shopping centre management.
  • Permits or licenses are required to conduct raffles, sell alcohol or food and conduct street appeals.
  • Applying for and receiving grants can contribute towards the costs of all kinds of initiatives and assist the furtherance of an association’s objects.