Industrial relations systems

When employing people, associations need to be aware of employment law and the relevant industrial agreement with which they are required to comply. Industrial relations and employment in Australia is governed at both State and Commonwealth level and the conditions of an employee contract may be subject to a specific award or agreement.

To clarify whether your association falls under the Commonwealth or the State system, or if you are unsure what industrial award and or agreement may apply to your association, you can contact Wageline on telephone 1300 655 266.

Western Australian industrial relations system

The Labour Relations division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety is responsible for administering the Western Australian industrial relations laws. It provides information through Wageline on issues including:

  • minimum employment conditions;
  • pay rates;
  • long service leave entitlements; and
  • employee termination and dismals.

More information is also available on the Labour Relations website.

Commonwealth industrial relations system

The Commonwealth Government workplace relations system is regulated by two agencies, Fair Work Australia and the Fair Work Ombudsman. To find out more about Commonwealth awards and agreements, you can contact:

Fair Work Commission
Telephone: 1300 799 675
Perth Office contact details
Telephone: 9464 5172
Address: Floor 16, 111 St Georges Tce, PERTH WA 6000

Fair Work Ombudsman
Infoline: 13 13 94
Address: GPO Box 9887, In your capital city