Risk management and safety
An association should assess any risks associated with its activities and take steps to reduce and manage these risks. This chapter outlines the process for managing risks, options for insurance and the responsibilities to provide safe and healthy environments for employees, volunteers and sporting participants.
- All associations should identify and take steps to reduce exposure to risk.
- There are various types of insurance cover that an association may require.
- Some insurance is compulsory for associations (eg workers' compensation for employees).
- There are a range of specific obligations under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 and Regulations (the OSH Laws).
- Sporting and recreation clubs must take reasonable steps to protect participants, coaches, referees and spectators from foreseeable harm.