Workers' compensation

Not for profit organisations work hard to serve the community and provide help to those in need. But what happens when the people delivering those services are injured in a workplace accident?

In Western Australia, all workers must be covered by a valid workers’ compensation insurance policy. The definition of a ‘worker’ is broad and extends to any ‘contract of service’ or ‘contract for service’ between a worker and employer.

If an association is unsure whether its staff are classified as ‘workers’ or ‘volunteers,’ it should contact its insurer or insurance broker to confirm the organisation has the right coverage.

Any individual, whether paid or volunteer, who fulfils a governing role for a incorporated association can be held personally liable for the costs of an uninsured workers’ compensation claim and could face prosecution for non-compliance with the duty to insure. These costs can total hundreds of thousands of dollars, so it is simply not worth the risk.

WorkCover WA is the government agency responsible for overseeing and regulating the workers’ compensation and injury management scheme in WA. For more information contact WorkCover WA’s Advice and Assistance line on telephone 1300 570 937 or visit