Building or renovating your home

Most people’s biggest investment is their home, so it is important that your contract to build or renovate goes smoothly. Resolving disputes can be costly, both personally and financially. Building and Energy has a responsibility to ensure that consumers have confidence in the building, building surveying, painting and plumbing services they engage.

Consumers have a one-stop-shop for getting the advice they need. A process is in place to register building practitioners who can demonstrate skills and experience and to register contractors who have the capacity to deliver building services.  A person who is not a registered building service contractor must not carry out or contract to carry out prescribed building services.

Resources for having your home built or renovated

Always use a licensed plumber 

In Western Australia, only licensed plumbers can perform plumbing work. To protect your health and safety, as well as ensuring your job is completed according to plumbing laws, always use a licensed plumber.

Search for a licensed plumber Click here to search for a licensed plumber

Always use a registered builder, painter or building surveyor

The best way to protect your investment in a building service provider is to ensure they are registered with Building and Energy. Visit the registers for building services providers to check for current registration. 

Register of building service providers  Search for a registered building service provider 

Consumer Protection website Things to be aware of before hiring a tradesperson Building Services Levy

A Building Services Levy (BSL) payment must be made with each application for a building permit, demolition permit and some other permits required under building legislation.  Pay the BSL to the local government permit authority with the permit application.  Further information on the BSL can be found on the Building Services Levy webpage.


As an owner of land wanting to build or renovate your own home or a small commercial building with the intention of residing in or using the building, you can apply for approval from the Building Services Board to become an owner-builder. The page on owner-builders' responsibilities discusses who can owner-build and what it involves. Download the owner-builder application below.

Owner-builder application package

Click here to download the form

Share this page:

Last modified: